Monday, December 15, 2008

the pantheon= determination?


the pantheon.

ohhhh the pantheon.

what could the pantheon possibly have to do with my determination? 

everything!

once upon a time, i got a "d" on an art history paper worth 50% of my grade. d! me!! outrageous! it was landmark day, the day i received the first "d" i had ever gotten on a paper. ah, that day, i burst into tears, climbed in the bed of someone-very-close-to-me and cried. oh, did i cry. i called my mom, my dad, my sister (what?), and all of my friends and cried.  

devastation. complete devastation. i was a wreck, an epic failure, and positive i was going to end up stocking the diaper aisle at walmart. (nothing smells worse than diapers, even if they're clean. i plan on hiring someone to change my kids diapers.)

it didn't matter that the rest of my grades were immaculate. that one grade was going to haunt me until finals week, the next chance i had to change my grade. finally, it came, the chance to change my grade and end my distress. 

i researched.
i wrote.
i edited.
i rewrote.
i rewrote.
i rewrote. 

and i prevailed. an "a"! and thus, my final grade, an "a"! 

now, what does the pantheon have to do with determination? everything. my paper was about the pantheon and the hagia sophia. two magnificently ancient buildings, of which i have zero interest. the point being, no matter how much i felt defeated, no matter how much i dreaded it, i prevailed. in comparison to the rest of my grades, art history is my favorite one. i found a subject that i was horribly uninterested in (almost failed) and turned it into a challenge. 

if i can overcome art history, i can overcome anything. 

i am invincible.  

2 comments:

  1. For a second I thought you were quoting goldeneye for a second, but then I realized who you were. Ha.

    I'm very proud of your art history grade and wish I had half the determination as you. Maybe then I wouldn't be failing math. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the A! I get D's all the time. Using the right book helps! :)

    ReplyDelete