Wednesday, January 18, 2012

ephemeral

"I somehow see what's beautiful in things that are ephemeral."

This sentence is loaded. So many ideas go rushing around in my mind when you consider the term "ephemeral." Ephemeral is defined as something that is "lasting a short time" synonyms for ephemeral are "transitory, short-lived, and even, momentary."

A google search led me to an artist, Jon Totel, whom aims to capture ephemeral moments, that would otherwise go unnoticed. What would ordinarily be a mundane daily activity, he makes art. This really got me thinking about life. More specifically the idea that if we could view our life as if it were a painting on a wall. (Bowl of Oranges, Bright Eyes) Would we see the beauty? Would your life reflect beauty, even in an ephemeral moment?

It doesn't take much to change your life. Realistically, your life is built on a few important ephemeral moments. As easy as these moments come, they are just as easily forgotten.

Another synonym of this word that I find interesting is "transitory". My life is (and has been) suspended in a stage of transition, but I don't find it any less beautiful. Some days, it's difficult to know that this is all temporary, but at the same time, it's comforting to know that there's an expiration date. I will be able to look back on this stage of my life and recognize how wonderfully ephemeral everything was. But, what isn't temporary is how this experience has molded me. Just because something is of short duration, doen't mean it's impact isn't lasting. It also doesn't make it any less beautiful. Sometimes, the story has been told and that's all there is to it.

I hope we can look at our lives and recognize the beauty in things that are ephemeral.

So I'll leave you with this, one of my professors said something along these lines this morning in class: 

Life is about change, and those who can best adapt to change will succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment