Sunday, February 5, 2012

time is not created equal

Salvador Dali, The Persistence of Memory


Lately I've been thinking about the concept of time. Time doesn't pass equally in all situations. Five-minutes in class, during a riveting lecture, can seem to last twice as long. The five-minutes between when your alarm goes off the first time and the second time (thank god for snooze buttons), can seem like 30-seconds. That being said, last semester lasted a year, while this semester seems to be floating by quite quickly. I attribute this, mostly, to the increased amount of sleep and decreased amount of stress that I'm experiencing this time around. Either way, it further justifies my point: all time is not created equal. I'm perfectly fine with this semester flying by, I'm already ready for it to be over. How horrible is that? I'm just finding myself increasingly sick of still being in school. A doctorate will be worth it, right?

Another theme I have going this semester is: be okay with where you are, even if you know you want a change. I haven't been so great at sticking to this because lately I've found myself constantly searching externships, with a variety of locations. Honestly, if I were to pin the sites on a map, it would look like the spray of bullets from a sawed-off shot gun, firing eastward. I have some favorite cities in mind, but I won't be revealing those, just yet. I seem to be torn between two scenarios: 1) going on yet another adventure, as I did when i uprooted for AZ. To be blatantly honest, that just sounds exhausting, especially since the externship only lasts a year. 2) Heading back to an area of comfort, e.g. within 1-3 hours of home. To be blatantly honest again, that seems like a cop-out but it also sounds extremely relaxing and perhaps, effortless? I'm going to apply to externships that satisfy both scenarios and see which one takes the bait.

I'm starting to miss everyone from home quite a bit. But hey, only a few more months and I will have the option of coming home for the summer. I need to figure out what my summer is going to look like, the only thing I know for certain is that I will be home July and August until school starts.

Also, I can't decide what to do for my spring break, as I have suddenly found it wide-open. First-world problems.


1 comment:

  1. I miss you :) glad this semester is going better! skype/coffee date from across the country soon!

    ReplyDelete